Sunday, May 24, 2009

Food Sense 3- Bulking up with rice

One of the best ways in my experience to get a feeling of fullness is to eat bulky foods. White and brown rice work well: One cup of rice (a lot... trust me) contains around 240 calories with just 4 from fat.

Many "instant" rices suffer from the same problems as other prepared foods: A lot of sodium and other additives. But regular rice can take a long time (up to an hour) to prepare if you follow the directions. While I love rice, I often skipped making it because of the time. But now I've found a solution. In How to Eat Supper, an outstanding book by Lynne Rossetto Kasper, she presents a recipe called "Dumbed Down Rice". With it, you'll have rice prepared in the time it takes you to make the food to go with it.

The process is simple: You treat the rice like pasta. Here's the process:

1. Bring 3 quarts of water to boil (salt the water lightly).
2. Add one cup of white long-grain rice.
3. Boil for 8-10 minutes, stirring on occasion.
4. Dump the pot into a colander, then turn the rice back into the pot. Make sure to take the pot off of the burner.
5. Cover the pot and let the rice rest for 5 minutes. Fluff and serve.

I was amazed at how nicely the rice turned out, and as a consequence I'll make rice much more frequently. Buy this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment